Recuca and Filandia - June 4, 2022

 June 4, 2022 - El café colombiano

Today our group woke up bright and early to head into the mountains to Recuca, a part of Colombia's world-renowned coffee region. We learned about all things coffee: its history, how it is cultivated, and how it is made into the perfect cup to enjoy.  Below is a photo of two red coffee beans, which means that they are ready to be harvested. We got to spend some time looking for these red beans ourselves, and we realized first-hand how difficult it is not only to pick them, but to search through all the trees high and low for such a small product.

Later, we got to dress up in typical Colombian clothing and do a "cafetera" dance, which is typical of the coffee region itself. We had so much fun choosing which skirts to wear and jumping around with our friends to the Colombian music. There are many different cultural aspects that all relate to coffee, and our day at Recuca really highlighted several of them. Coffee is so much more than an export of Colombia, it is a way of life for so many farmers and their families. There is specific clothing worn during the cultivation, there are several roles that coffee farmers play, specific dances and meals eaten by the families that work in the coffee industry, and so much more. 


After our visit at Recuca, we drove for about an hour to reach Filandia, a small town in the mountains. The church is the center of the city, and when I walked by, there was actually mass going on. The views from Filandia were absolutely breathtaking, so I wanted to share a few photos. Although we were only here for about an hour, I had a great time popping in and out of boutiques and cafes. I finally settled on a second-floor balcony of a cafe where I enjoyed a hot chocolate with a side of cheese, a typical indulgence here in Colombia. 



We had a very long but very enriching day, and I had so much fun exploring these two culturally relevant locations within Colombia. Next time I drink a cup of coffee, I will certainly slow down and appreciate all the hard work and love that went into one small mug of coffee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 18th- The Climb

June 22nd- Las Mujeres Tejedoras

June 26 - Bosque Colibrí (Villacarmelo), Reserva Natural