June 18th- The Climb

 Today our group ventured to the Nirvana Nature Reserve about an hour and a half away from Cali. Upon arrival, we enjoyed some coffee and pan de bono before beginning our hike. I find it best to summarize our experience hiking through the lyrics of the iconic song "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus (2009). 

There's always gonna be another mountain

I'm always gonna wanna make it move

In our case, our hike through the nature reserve was a seemingly never ending incline. To say that some of us were feeling a bit out of shape today is an understatement. 

Always gonna be an uphill battle

Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose

I am happy to report that we came out on top in our uphill battle (except for the last 20 minutes of our hike where we had to trek all the way back down and then it was a downhill battle). When we reached the top there was an amazing view that went for miles (or kilometers if you are in Colombia). 

Ain't about how fast I get there

Ain't about what's waiting on the other side

It's the climb

No truer words can be said. While the view up top was breath taking, along the way we saw so many different plants of all sorts of unique colors. All of our camera rolls are full now because we were snapping pictures of beautiful landscapes and flowers left and right. Of course, in addition to stopping for pictures we had to stop often to take a breather as well. Miley Cyrus wasn't kidding when she said the pace of the climb does not matter. Our tour guide Sergio was climbing up the mountain trail like it was the flattest of terrains; the rest of the group not so much. I regret not taking the sign at the entrance to the trail more seriously when it said to stretch and warm up a bit before starting. 

All jokes a side, Nirvana was gorgeous and the lunch we enjoyed at the restaurant there afterwards was delicious. Post climb and with full stomachs, I think we are all going to sleep very well tonight.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 22nd- Las Mujeres Tejedoras

June 26 - Bosque Colibrí (Villacarmelo), Reserva Natural