June 27th- One Last Day With Our Host Families
For my last full day in Cali, I spent the day with Julia my host mom. We went out for lunch and a had special going away meal for me since the group flies out tomorrow. While eating, Julia and I took a look back at how the last month has gone for us. Day 1 when I arrived at Julia's apartment, I was terrified, beyond nervous, and could barely understand anything Julia was saying. Day 28, and now I feel like Julia is the big sister I never had. During this month, as my Spanish speaking skills improved, Julia and I began to talk more and more. By the end, we now talk about anything and everything. I have learned so much from Julia both about Spanish and Colombian culture as well as about life. Developing a relationship and connecting with Julia has been way bigger part of this experience for me than I realized until I sat down for my going away lunch with her today. I am going to miss her like crazy.
My going away meal of choice was seafood! I had rice with a mix of seafood and it was delicious!
Julia asked me what my favorite and least favorite part of the trip were. Without hesitation, I told her that the mosquitos were easily my least favorite part of this trip. As a group we were raging a war against mosquitos, but boy did we loose. Some of us are a going to have some awesome looking scars to serve as a never ending reminder of all of the bug bites that covered our legs. On a more positive note, my favorite part of the trip by far was Parque de los Gatos. I am obsessed with the eyelashes on some of the cats statues. Additionally, all of the colorful designs on the cats were so fun to look as well as reading about the inspiration behind the cats.
However, packing my suitcase this afternoon, I realized I am excited to go home. While we have learned quite a bit about Colombian culture and the Spanish language here, I also think that we have learned to appreciate our lives in the Untied States a little bit more as well. It is the little things for me, like hot showers and significantly less traffic, but they are definitely luxuries of my life in the U.S. that I have taken for granted. I am beyond grateful for the opportunity to be a part of this trip and experience life and culture in a different part of the world. Julia was poking fun at me as I crammed all of the many souvenirs I bought into my suitcase, but I am bringing home with me so much more than just these trinkets.


Comments
Post a Comment