June 19 - Election Day - 2022
We knew well before our arrival in Colombia that we would be here on their presidential election day. Our group talked about the significance of the day for Colombians, what was at stake, the possible reactions of voters here, and how to navigate conversations about the election in a respectful manner. On our many drives through the city each day, we have been inundated by images of the candidates - on posters, billboards, car stickers, and walls covered in political graffiti. Our plans have changed because of possible protests or public disturbances related to the election. Almost every day that we have been here, the topic of who would win and/or how the country would react has been discussed.
But why was it such a significant election? I know from my own experience as a U.S. voter that any time a new president is elected, emotions are high, as are hopes, and the outcome will affect the lives of every citizen in some way. However, I live in a country where there have been both Republican and Democrat presidents and I know that every four years, the election could go either way. The citizens of Colombia have never had a president who was not conservative. Over the last few decades, many have experienced poverty, injustice, forced displacement, violence, inequality, and more. Regardless of their political opinions, it is clear that most Colombians want change. Last night was the beginning of that change.
For the first time ever, Colombia elected a leftist president: Gustavo Petro. In addition, they elected their first Black female vice-president: Francia Márquez. Petro and Márquez received over 50% of the vote, proving that the dissatisfaction of the majority of the citizens here has reached a breaking point.
As I watched the results come in with my host family, there was a palpable tension in the air. Although the results would not affect me as it would them, I, too, was anxious. When it started to become clear that Petro would win, the tension changed to relief, and I saw hope in the eyes of some of the people who have taken me in and treated me as if I were family. Later, while watching Márquez's and Petro's speeches, I got chills. All around me there was pure, unrestrained emotion. The best part was that I got to experience this with some of Colombia's youth - the future of this country. To be able to witness the tears of joy of a generation that has used their voices to effect change in their country was something that I will never forget. I feel blessed to have been here for this historic moment.
Comments
Post a Comment