10 junio - Movement as Stress Relief
June 10, 2022
We are settling into our surroundings, getting used to the busy schedule and routines with our host families. Simple pleasantries and chit-chat are no longer needed when interacting with one another. With this comes self-reflection and a heightened awareness of where we fit in among the group and how our Spanish skills are impacting our ability to navigate new and sometimes emotionally draining cultural nuances. In the time spent talking with my colleagues, we find ourselves second guessing life choices, questioning whether we are frauds teaching a language from which we still have so much to learn, asking ourselves simply do I truly deserve to be here?
Today, just when I thought some of us were beginning to reach a breaking point, we were saved by a very special opportunity to learn about juegos infantiles, or traditional children’s games found all over Colombia. We began our class by simply standing in a large circle in the center of the room, taking turns to pivot and shout with our hands in the air signaling to the person next to us that they now get to take a turn. In minutes, I found my stressors and self doubts leaving my body. This class was just what the doctor ordered, to resort to a state of wonder with child-like feelings where I could expel energy, scream, and shout. We added more movements increasing our need for team cooperation and trust to allow the game to continue. As we moved through the different games, our faces began to change from stress and frustration to smiles and laughter as we let our worries go in an easy going, non academic context. Next, our team mentality was put to the test when we took turns defending a bottle cap tower as a ball threatened to knock it down. I began to think of the children playing this game in the streets of Colombia, without a care in the world other than whose team will reign supreme. At this moment, it didn't matter if I could understand what was being asked of me, or how I could formulate a perfect response in Spanish. I simply understood the task at hand and it was to enjoy myself in the company of others working together toward a common goal.
In all, today taught me that if my students grow frustrated with language learning or if my thoughts of self-doubt begin to creep up, we must take time to be a child again and find what makes us laugh. We must remind ourselves that we are simply human beings navigating this large and diverse world, that there is no right or wrong way to go about it. Language learning is not always an easy journey, but we must take time to pause and enjoy ourselves in the process. For what is the point of the journey, if not enjoyable.
“Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
Comments
Post a Comment